Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 6 - Suspicious Minds

When I started designing (is that too strong a word?) this ARG I had imagined my 15 and 16 year old students getting right into the 'vibe of thing' without a shred of typical teenage suspicion.

I was only partly right. As obsessed as they are about solving the puzzles for codewords, they are probably just as excited about how the exercise is running and WHO is running it. I am embarassed to say that I have been making up the most ridiculous reasons for how Dr Tonkin and I communicate.....bordering on lying.

If you know your Star Wars (and frankly, everyone should when it comes to Episodes 4,5 and 6) Obi Wan claims that Darth Vader killed Luke's father. When Luke finds out the truth Obi Wan's response is something along the lines of 'it was true - in a manner of speaking'. That is about how close to the wind I am sailing!

To make my web of misleading statements all the more complicated, I have arranged for a co-educator friend of mine in another state to call me during class time and pretend to be Dr Frank Tonkin. And even then I doubt I'll throw them off the scent.

All this distracts from the important stuff of engagement, knowledge building, skills development and experience that should be at the core of the ARG.

Any advice or help VERY welcomed.

Be well.

1 comment:

  1. Your project sounds awesome! I've been so inspired by you and Kev (from Ning). This summer I'll plan my ARG related to grammar. Keep posting! It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete